Oven-baked chicken, bacon and barley risotto
- April 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 25 min
We’ve used a mixture of rice and pearl barley in this baked chicken risotto to create a nuttier texture with a little more bite.
- 22g (9.3g saturated)
- 49.7g (2.6g sugars)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 free-range skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into chunks
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- 2 banana shallots, sliced
- 1 large celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- 175g risotto rice
- 175g pearl barley
- 200ml fino sherry
- 750ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 50g butter
- 50g parmesan, grated, plus extra shavings to serve
- Handful parsley leaves to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat a splash of the oil in a large casserole (use one with a lid) and fry the chicken and bacon until browned. Set aside. Heat a splash more oil in the pan if needed and gently fry the shallots, celery and carrot with a pinch of salt for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the rosemary and cook for a minute, then stir in the rice and barley and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the sherry and bring up to a fast simmer, then cook until almost all the sherry has evaporated.
- Stir the browned chicken and bacon into the rice and pour in 700ml of the stock. Stir to combine, then bring up to the boil, cover with the lid, transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until everything is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- When the rice is tender, stir in the butter, parmesan and remaining 50ml stock. Taste and add salt and black pepper to taste. Serve scattered with the parmesan shavings and the parsley leaves.
If you don’t have any sherry open, use dry white wine or even 100ml vodka instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Caramelised onion risotto with ale and balsamic vinegar
The deep, warming flavours of the ale brings a hearty richness to this vegetarian risotto....
Bacon, leek and tomato risotto
A creamy risotto dish with rashers of bacon, leeks, tomatoes and shavings of parmesan; the...