Easy warm lentil and beetroot salad
- December 2015
- Servea 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 45 min
A quick and nutritious midweek meal recipe that’s full of flavour from earthy beetroot, tangy feta and refreshing mint and coriander.
Add a little crunch to your salad, with hazelnuts, like in Amelia Freer’s speedy salad recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 17.6g (6.5g saturated)
- 48.8g (12.9g sugars)
- 500g beetroot, cut into wedges
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 300g lentils, such as puy
- Extra-virgin olive oil to dress
- 150g feta, crumbled
- Small bunch each fresh mint, coriander and flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the beetroot and onions in a roasting tin, drizzle with a little oil and toss to coat. Roast for 40 minutes or until tender, then add 1 tbsp vinegar, toss to coat and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile put the lentils in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the lentils, beetroot, onions, feta, herbs, remaining vinegar and a glug more extra- virgin olive oil in a bowl. Season to taste and serve warm.
To feed a crowd, add roasted veg such as potatoes, celeriac, ￼sweet potato and carrots, then top with fried eggs.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas starter recipes
Herbed lentil and beetroot ‘couscous’ with halloumi
This colourful and herby vegetarian dish is healthy, filling and tastes great too. The beetroot...