Easy warm lentil and beetroot salad
- December 2015
- Servea 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 45 min
A quick and nutritious midweek meal recipe that’s full of flavour from earthy beetroot, tangy feta and refreshing mint and coriander.
Add a little crunch to your salad, with hazelnuts, like in Amelia Freer’s speedy salad recipe.
- 17.6g (6.5g saturated)
- 48.8g (12.9g sugars)
- 500g beetroot, cut into wedges
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 300g lentils, such as puy
- Extra-virgin olive oil to dress
- 150g feta, crumbled
- Small bunch each fresh mint, coriander and flatleaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Put the beetroot and onions in a roasting tin, drizzle with a little oil and toss to coat. Roast for 40 minutes or until tender, then add 1 tbsp vinegar, toss to coat and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile put the lentils in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the lentils, beetroot, onions, feta, herbs, remaining vinegar and a glug more extra- virgin olive oil in a bowl. Season to taste and serve warm.
To feed a crowd, add roasted veg such as potatoes, celeriac, ￼sweet potato and carrots, then top with fried eggs.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas starter recipes
Herbed lentil and beetroot ‘couscous’ with halloumi
This colourful and herby vegetarian dish is healthy, filling and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter