Eccles baked apples
- October 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 40-45 minutes in the oven, plus cooling
This baked apple recipe has the spicy flavour of Eccles cakes without the fatty pastry.
- 11.5g (6.9g saturated)
- 103.2g (103.2g sugars)
- 50g butter
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 50g dark muscovado sugar
- 250g currants
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon and 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 large Bramley apples (about 300g each)
- Make the filling. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over a gentle heat. Add both the sugars, remove from the heat and stir to remove any lumps. Stir in the currants, spices and lemon zest and juice and set aside to cool completely. As the mixture cools, the dried fruit will absorb most of the buttery juices and the rest will solidify around it.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Core the apples using an apple corer then, using a swivel peeler or a small, sharp knife, open up the cavities a little more until they measure about 3cm across. Slice a little off the base of each apple, if necessary, so that they sit flat, then score horizontally around the middle of each apple to just cut through the skin. This should stop them bursting in the oven.
- Place the apples in a shallow baking dish and generously fill the cavities with the fruit filling, piling any excess onto the top. Spoon 2 tablespoons water into the dish and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven and cover the apples loosely with foil. Bake for a further 20-25 minutes or until the apples are soft through to the centre when pierced with the tip of a small, sharp knife.
- Serve the baked apples immediately with the syrupy juices from the dish and some custard, thick cream or vanilla ice cream.
This dish should be served immediately, as the apples will collapse if left to stand.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...