Fennel, chicory and lemon salad
- January 2009
- Grated zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 3 tbsp walnut oil or mild olive oil
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 crisp pear
- 12 walnuts, shelled, or 50g walnut pieces
- 2 chicory
- Whisk the lemon zest and juice with the oil, pepper and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Halve the fennel bulbs lengthways, and slice as thinly as possible. Core and slice the pear. Toss the fennel and pear slices with the dressing. You can make this up to 1-2 hours before serving.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and bake the walnuts for 10 minutes, until lightly roasted. While still warm, transfer to a colander and shake gently to shed as many of the skins as you can.
- Finally, break up the chicory and toss with the pear and fennel. Scatter the walnuts over the salad to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter