Fennel and orange salad
- November 2015
- Serves 4 as a side dish
- Hands-on time 20 min
A refreshing and zesty Christmas salad recipe made with fennel, sweet oranges, radicchio and a zingy lemon and dill dressing.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 17.6g (1.9g saturated)
- 13.7g (13.2g sugars)
- 1 fennel bulb
- 4 oranges
- 2 radicchio or red chicory
- 50g pine nuts
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- Small bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
- ½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Slice the fennel bulb in half, then thinly slice each half into strips and put in a large salad bowl. Peel and segment 3 of the oranges (see tip) and add to the bowl. Roughly tear the radicchio into the bowl.
- In a small frying pan, toast the pine nuts for 2-3 minutes until very lightly golden over a low-medium heat, tossing often – keep an eye on them as they burn very easily. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Halve the remaining orange and mix the finely grated zest of one half and its juice with the lemon juice and zest, chopped dill and mustard. Slowly add the oil to make a dressing, whisking all the time. Taste the dressing – if you would like a more orangey flavour, add the juice from the other half of the reserved orange. Otherwise, segment the other half and add it to the salad. Mix the fennel, radicchio, pine nuts and dressing together and serve straightaway.
Rate & review