Feta and red pepper croûtes
- April 2011
- Serves 6-8; makes about 24
- Hands on time 30 mins, plus 12 mins cooking time
This feta and red pepper croûtes recipe make an excellent summer canapé. Serve in the garden with some cocktails.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.1g (2.2g saturated)
- 6.4g (0.5g sugars)
- 375g sheet ready-rolled all-butter puff pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- 1 medium egg, beaten, for glazing
- 100g ready-roasted red peppers, drained and finely diced
- ½ celery stick, finely diced
- Juice of ½ lime and a little zest
- Small pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Small handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 50g feta, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Open out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a slightly larger rectangle. Put on a baking sheet, prick all over with a fork, then brush with the beaten egg. Bake for 10-12 minutes until crisp, risen and golden brown.
- Remove the pastry from the oven and put a second baking sheet on top of it, pressing down firmly to flatten the pastry. Leave to cool.
- Put the red peppers and celery in a bowl, stir in the lime juice and zest, a pinch of sugar and some seasoning. Drizzle over the oil and set aside for 10 minutes for the flavours to mingle.
- Cut the pastry into 4cm squares and put on a serving platter. Toss the red pepper salsa with the parsley and feta, then use to top the croûtes. Serve immediately with the cocktail.
Rate & review