- February 2015
- Makes 18
- Hands-on time 25 min
This easy canapé recipe made with crab and avocado is the perfect way to start a dinner party.
- 6.7g (1.1g saturated)
- 5g (0.4g sugars)
- 8-10 slices good quality white bread (the team used sourdough)
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 ripe avocado
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon, plus extra juice
- 100g brown crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 80g mayonnaise
- Small bunch fresh coriander, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6 and put a baking sheet inside to heat up. Using a 3cm cookie cutter, stamp out 18 circles from the bread. Flatten slightly, brush with oil, then toast in the oven for about 5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Stone and peel the avocado, then mash with the zest and juice of 1⁄2 lemon, the crab, chilli, mayo and coriander. Season to taste, then add more lemon juice if it’s too rich.
- Prepare the mini toasts up to 48 hours in advance, then keep them in an airtight container. Make the crab mix and keep covered in the fridge 1-2 hours beforehand but no more. Bring to room temperature to serve. Top the toasts with the crab mixture and a sprig of coriander.
Prepare the mini toasts up to 48 hours in advance, then keep them in an airtight container. Make the crab mix and keep covered in the fridge 1-2 hours beforehand but no more. Bring to room temperature to serve.
Rate & review