Crab and cayenne palmiers
- December 2015
- Makes 25-30
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 15-18 min, plus chilling
A quick crab canapé recipe that you can make well in advance and defrost when you have some unexpected guests.
- 60 kcals
- 3.8g (1.8g saturated)
- 3.5g (0.1g sugars)
- 200g brown crabmeat
- 50g white crabmeat
- 3 pinches of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 50g grated gruyère cheese
- juice of ½ lemon
- zest of 1 whole lemon
- 320g all-butter puff pastry sheet
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk, plus more for glazing
- lemon wedges, to serve
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown crabmeat and white crabmeat with the cayenne pepper, ½ tsp mustard powder and gruyère. Squeeze in the juice of ½ lemon and grate in the zest, then taste and season.
- Unroll the pastry sheet and evenly spread with the mixture. Starting at one of the long ends, roll the pastry up to the middle, then repeat on the other side, so you have a long joined double scroll shape – like a log. Flip over, wrap in cling film or the pastry paper, then either freeze until needed (use cling film in this case), or put in the freezer for 30 minutes or the fridge for 1 hour until firm.
- To cook, heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Beat the egg yolk with a pinch of salt and brush all over the pastry log. Slice the pastry into 0.5cm slices with a very sharp, thin knife, then lay out on lightly oiled baking sheets. Brush each palmier with more beaten egg, then bake for 15-18 minutes until crisp and golden. Serve warm from the oven, with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Make the palmier log, but don’t slice or bake. Wrap well in cling film, then store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Defrost overnight in the fridge (you need to be able to slice the dough), then continue with the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sausage and sage palmiers
This flaky sausage and sage palmiers recipe works really well as a pre-dinner snack with...
Chilli crab and prawn tarts
These individual seafood tarts are satisfying enough to serve as a main course or substantial...