- June 2012
- Makes 48
- Takes 30 mins to make, 16-20 mins to cook
Fill homemade filo pastry baskets with a prawn cocktail or ham and asparagus filling then serve to guests – a perfect summer party canapés.
Per prawn cocktail bite: 33kcals, 1.7g fat (0.2g saturated), 1.7g protein, 3.1g carbs (0.3g sugars), 0.2g salt, no fibre
Per ham and asparagus bite: 20kcals, 1.4g fat (0.3g saturated), 1.7g protein, 3.1g carbs (0.3g sugars), 0.2g salt, 0.2g fibre
For the filo baskets:
- 12 sheets of filo pastry
- Butter, for brushing
For the prawn cocktail filling:
- 180g peeled cooked small prawns
- 3tbsp mayonnaise
- 1-2 tbsp tomato sauce
- a good dash of Tabasco
- juice of ½ lime
- finely chopped fresh dill, plus extra to serve
For the ham and asparagus filling:
- 120g shredded ham hock
- 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2-3 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 6 spears of asparagus, finely sliced
- Fresh chives, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Brush 3 large sheets of filo pastry with melted butter and sandwich together. Cut the pastry lengthwise into 5 strips of equal width, then divide each strip into 4 rough squares. Use to line 20 greased holes of 2 x 12-hole mini-tartlet tins.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove from the trays and put on cooling racks, then repeat twice with batches of 3 sheets of filo to make 48 baskets.
- For the prawn cocktail filling: Mix the prawns with the mayonnaise, tomato ketchup and Tabasco. Squeeze in the lime juice and add the dill. Season to taste. Divide among 24 filo baskets and finish each with a small sprig of dill.
- For the ham and asparagus filling: Put the ham in a bowl with the mayonnaise and Greek yogurt. Add the Dijon mustard and season. Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 30 seconds, then refresh under cold water. Add to the ham and mix well. Spoon equally among 24 filo baskets and garnish with the chives.
Rate & review