Homemade fish fingers
- March 2012
- Serves 6
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 50 minutes to cook
This is classic childhood food at its very best. Whether you’re bringing back happy memories or starting new ones, these homemade fish fingers are a must-make recipe.
- 41.7g (5.9g saturated)
- 43.5g (1.8g sugars)
- 950g (about 6 medium) floury potatoes, cut into thick chips
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 700g thick white skinless sustainable fish fillets
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
For the tartare sauce
- 170g good-quality fresh mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 4-5 cornichons, finely chopped
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the chips in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes, then drain. Return to the pan briefly over a low heat and toss gently to dry the chips and roughen their edges.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a roasting tin in the oven. When very hot, add the chips, toss gently, then roast for 40-45 minutes until crisp and golden, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, trim the fish into neat fish-finger shapes (about 8cm x 3cm). Whizz the breadcrumbs in a food processor until very fine, then transfer to a shallow bowl.
- To make the tartare sauce, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl, then season to taste.
- Heat 1cm vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Dip each fish finger in the seasoned flour, dust off any excess, then dip in the beaten eggs and finish off rolling in the breadcrumbs to coat evenly.
- Fry the fish fingers in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side until they’re golden and crisp all over and the fish is just cooked. Serve with the chips and tartare sauce.
Freeze any fish trimmings – you can use them in a fish pie or fishcakes at a later date.
Freeze the parboiled, cooled chips on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag. Cook from frozen.
Freeze the uncooked fish fingers on a baking sheet, then keep in a plastic container between layers of baking paper. Cook from frozen until golden and cooked throughout.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fish fingers with chipped potatoes and tartare sauce
These herby fish fingers with chipped potatoes are a great family meal that’s much healthier...