Fish fingers with chipped potatoes and tartare sauce
- January 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 25 mins, plus 50 mins cooking time
These herby fish fingers with chipped potatoes are a great family meal that’s much healthier and tastier than the shop-bought version.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 45.2g (6.3g saturated)
- 92.4g (2.9g sugars)
- 1kg floury potatoes, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 700g white fish
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 lemon, zested then chopped into wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. In a pan of simmering salted water cook the potatoes for 2-3 minutes, until parboiled. Drain, shake well and mix with the vegetable oil and some sea salt in a roasting tin. Roast for 45 minutes, until golden and very crispy.
- Meanwhile, put the flour in a dish. Place the beaten eggs in another dish and breadcrumbs mixed with the 2 tbsp of the dill in a third. Cut the fish fillets into fingers and dip each in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in turn and place on a non-stick baking sheet.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the capers, lemon zest and remaining dill in a bowl. Season and chill.
- Heat a good layer of vegetable oil in a pan and fry the fish fingers for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Serve with the potatoes, sauce and lemon wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Homemade fish fingers
This is classic childhood food at its very best. Whether you’re bringing back happy memories...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...