- 100g caster sugar
- 300g small ripe strawberries
- 4 leaf gelatine sheets
- 250g mixed blueberries and raspberries, plus extra for decorating
- 500g pot extra-thick custard
- 300ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar
- 3 meringue nests, crumbled
- Put 300ml water, the caster sugar and half the strawberries into a pan; bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and strain the liquid into a bowl through a fine sieve. Push the strawberries through the sieve to make a purée and mix with the liquid.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water for a minute until soft. Squeeze out the excess water, then add to the hot fruit purée and stir until dissolved. Leave the jelly to cool, but do not let it set.
- Place the remaining fruit in a 2-litre glass bowl and pour over the cooled jelly mixture. Chill for 2 hours to set.
- When set, pour the custard on top. Whip the cream with the icing sugar until it forms soft peaks, then fold in two-thirds of the crumbled meringue. Spoon on top, then decorate with extra fruits and the remaining meringue.