Globe artichokes with anchovy dressing
- July 2019
- Serves 6 as a nibble
- Hands-on time 5 min, simmering time 30 min
This recipe explains how to prepare a globe artichoke which, although a little time-consuming, is utterly worth the effort. Then serve simply with the umami-rich anchovy dressing for a stunning dinner party starter.
Need a little extra help? See our image-led guide for how to prepare a globe artichoke, too.
- 13.6g (2g saturated)
- 3.1g (1.7g sugars)
- 3 globe artichokes, trimmed
- 2 lemons, halved
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil, finely chopped, plus 2 tbsp oil from the anchovy jar/tin
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- Halve the artichokes lengthways, then put them in a large pan with cold water to cover. Squeeze in the juice of 2 of the lemon halves, then add the skins. Cover with a lid and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes (see tip), checking to make sure the artichokes are kept immersed. Drain, then transfer the artichokes, cut-side down, to a wire rack over a tray to drain and cool fully.
- For the dressing, put the olive oil, anchovies and oil, mustard, juice of the remaining lemon and the vinegar in a jar with plenty of black pepper. Secure the lid and shake well to emulsify, then taste and season (see Make Ahead). Add a splash of boiling water if it’s too thick.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out (and discard) the fibrous choke from the middle of the cooled artichokes. Pour the dressing into a small bowl and serve with the artichokes. Pull off the leaves and dip the ends into the dressing to nibble the fleshy bases, then scoop out the tender hearts and eat with the anchovy dressing.
Check the artichoke is cooked by pushing the tip of a sharp knife into the heart. It should go in with only a little resistance.
Make the dressing up to 5 days ahead and keep in a sealed jar in the fridge. Shake well to bring it back together.
Reds (and oaky whites) will clash here! Crisp, dry whites such as Alsace pinot
blanc or Austrian grüner veltliner work best.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Crispy artichokes with hazelnut salsa verde
Crunchy fried artichokes with a nutty salsa verde make an...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter