Crispy artichokes with hazelnut salsa verde
- February 2016
- Serves 6 as a nibble
- Hands-on time 35 min
Crunchy fried artichokes with a nutty salsa verde make an ideal bar snack or starter for a relaxed dinner party.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 33.9g (5.2g saturated)
- 17.8g (2.8g sugars)
- 350g chargrilled antipasti artichokes (from the deli counter or aisle of large supermarkets)
- Plain flour to dust
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
- Sunflower or olive oil for frying
For the salsa verde
- 1 banana shallot, finely chopped
- Small bunch fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp capers in vinegar, rinsed and drained
- 4 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Small bunch fresh oregano or fresh mint (or a mix), roughly chopped
- Small bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 50g toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Small pinch sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150ml extra-virgin olive oil
- To make the salsa verde, put all the ingredients (except the olive oil) in a food processor and whizz to a coarse paste. Stir in the olive oil, then taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse the artichokes, then dry on kitchen paper. Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls, season the flour and egg, then dip each piece of artichoke first in the flour, then egg, then crumbs, shaking off the excess. Lay them out on a tray as you go.
- Heat 2cm oil in a large frying pan or sauté pan over a medium-high heat. When shimmering hot, add the artichokes in batches (don’t crowd the pan). Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and crisp, then drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven. Serve while still hot with the salsa verde for dipping.
This would also work with chunks of firm cooking mozzarella or white fish instead of the artichokes. To make the dish vegetarian, omit the anchovies from the salsa verde.
Make the salsa verde up to 24 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge. Serve at room temperature.
Rate & review