Gooseberry ginger beer
- June 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 15 min
In early summer gooseberries are fat, irresistible emeralds – use them in this delightful al fresco gooseberry ginger beer cocktail recipe.
- 0.2g (0.1g saturated)
- 42.5g (42.3g sugars)
- 250g gooseberries (use frozen berries if you can’t get fresh)
- 1 thumb-size piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 100g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- 4 tbsp ginger cordial (we used Belvoir)
- 100ml gin
- 660ml cold pale ale
- Put the gooseberries, ginger, sugar and water in a pan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Gently simmer for 15 minutes or until syrupy, then strain. When cool, bottle and store in the fridge (see tip).
- For each cocktail, pour 50ml gooseberry syrup in a glass, then add 1 tbsp ginger cordial and 25ml gin. Top up with pale ale, then serve.
To sterilise jars and bottles, wash in warm soapy water, rinse, then dry in a low oven. Or wash in a hot dishwasher cycle.
Rate & review