Courgette and farro summer soup
- June 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 1 hour 10 minutes
The courgette and farro soup recipe is easy and delicious, and makes the most of Britain’s summer produce.
- 14.8g fat (3.6g saturated)
- 42.5g (8.1g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 50g pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 100g farro (from Sainsbury’s Special Selection, larger Waitrose stores, Italian delis and health food shops)
- 1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock, hot
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 large courgettes, diced
- 100g green beans, trimmed and halved
- 400g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- Handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 25g freshly grated Parmesan or Grana Padano
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion for a few minutes until beginning to soften. Stir in the pancetta and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and farro and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Pour over the stock and add the rosemary. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 40 minutes.
- Add the courgettes, green beans, borlotti beans and continue cooking gently for a further 10 minutes, until the farro and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the basil and Parmesan and season well to taste. Serve drizzled with extra-virgin olive oil and some good crusty bread.
Make this dish veggie by omitting the pancetta and using vegetarian cheese.
Farro is an ancient wheat grain that has a firm, chewy texture. It’s delicious in soups, stews and slow-cooked dishes.
Rate & review