Griddled little gem and ham hock caesar salad
- June 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Cooking the little gem lettuce on a griddle adds a wonderful charred flavour to this quick caesar salad. The addition of ham hock and soft boiled eggs means you’ll be left feeling full and satisfied.
If you’re looking for the traditional recipe, look no further than our perfect chicken caesar salad.
- 17.2g (3.9g saturated)
- 52.7g (5.4g sugars)
- 400g sourdough or other crusty bread, torn into large crouton-size pieces
- Olive oil for drizzling and frying
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 6 little gem lettuces, quartered lengthways
- 90g pre-packed shredded ham hock
For the dressing
- 70g natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice ½ lemon
- 3 anchovy fillets in oil, very finely chopped
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Put the bread on a large baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and bake for 4-6 minutes, turning halfway, until crisp. Meanwhile, cook the eggs in a pan of boiling water for 7 minutes, then cool under cold running water and peel.
- Heat a large griddle pan over a high heat. Brush the little gem quarters with a little oil and, when the pan is smoking hot, griddle on all sides for a few minutes, then set aside.
- While the little gems are griddling, make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients in a small bowl with a pinch of pepper. Halve the eggs, put on a platter with the little gems and ham hock, then drizzle with the dressing and top with the croutons.
Next time: swap ham hock for leftover chicken or other cold cuts of meat.
Make the croutons up to 24 hours in advance. Cool and keep in an airtight container.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Proper chicken caesar salad
The combination of chicken, bacon, garlicky dressing and chunky sourdough croutons in this proper caesar...