Grilled spring onions, cucumber salad with radishes and cottage cheese
- May 2005
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15 minutes
This fresh crunchy salad with peppery radishes and cottage cheese is a quick and simple meal. It also makes for a fantastic sandwich filling, stuff it into pitta or any type of flat bread.
- 13.7g (3.1g saturated)
- 7.9g carbs (7.8g sugars)
- 250g cottage cheese
- 2 bunches spring onions
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 small cos lettuce or 2 Little Gem, washed and roughly shredded
- 1 bunch small radishes
- A dozen or so whole mint leaves
(sh) For the dressing
Juice of 1 lemon (plus a little zest)
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Drain the cottage cheese in a sieve to get rid of any excess whey.
- Meanwhile, trim the spring onions of any wilted greens. Heat a frying pan or griddle and dry-fry them for about 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Set aside on a plate.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Season well and set aside.
- Peel and halve the cucumber lengthways. Run a teaspoon along the seed cavity to remove the seeds and discard. Finely slice the cucumber, then toss together with the lettuce, radishes, spring onions, mint and dressing. Scatter the cottage cheese curds over the salad to serve.
Look out for the flamboyant French breakfast radishes: bright pink with a white strip at the base. If the leaves look fresh, toss them into the salad – they taste a little like rocket.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken Caesar salad
This chicken Caesar salad recipe is a classic, perfect for a midweek supper as it’s...
Spiced almond and sultana marinated chicken
Spiced almond and sultana marinated chicken is a rather fab but simple recipe for a...