Grilled squid with lemon and thyme dressing
- August 2006
- Serves 8
- Takes 35 minutes to prepare, 2-4 minutes on the barbecue
A simple lemon dressing is all good squid needs, especially if you’re giving it the smokiness of a hot barbecue.
- 12.2g (2g saturated)
- 2.9g (0.8g sugars)
- 8 medium squid (about 1.3kg in total)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 heaped tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 200g wild rocket leaves
- Prepare each squid. Pull the head and tentacles away from the body. The intestines will come away with the tentacles. Reach into the body, pull out any remaining intestines with the plastic-like quill and discard. Pull the purple skin off the body and discard. Pull off the two fins and discard the purple skin. Wash out the body and cut one side to open out flat. Cut the tentacles from the head – from just in front of the eyes – in 1 piece. Squeeze out and discard the beak-like mouth from the centre of the tentacles. You should be left with the body, tentacles and 2 fins from each squid.
- Using a serrated knife, score the inside of each body with parallel lines, spaced about 1cm apart. Score in the opposite direction to give a criss-cross pattern, making sure you don’t cut all the way through. Set aside.
- Make a dressing. Whisk the lemon juice and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until you have a dressing. Stir in the chopped thyme and season with pepper.
- Brush all the squid pieces with oil and season with pepper. Barbecue, over a direct high heat (place the bodies scored-side down) for 2-4 minutes, turning halfway until just curled – don’t overcook or it will be chewy. Remove and arrange on a serving platter with the rocket. Drizzle with the dressing to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pan-fried squid with spinach, red peppers and chickpeas
Chickpeas, spinach and red peppers are topped with squid to make a really quick meal...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...