Healthier rice pudding
- March 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 50 min
Properly creamy, sink-your-spoon-in rice pudding is a wondrous thing. We’ve gone heavy on the comfort here, but eased up on the calorie and fat count.
- 2.3g (1.3g saturated)
- 49g (14.7g sugars)
- 100g pudding rice
- 750ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2-3 tbsp clear honey to taste
- 4 tbsp full-fat Greek yogurt to serve
- Put the pudding rice, milk and vanilla paste in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over a very low heat, stirring so it doesn’t stick to the base of the pan.
- Simmer for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally at the beginning and more often as the rice swells, until it’s tender and the consistency is creamy. Stir in 1 tbsp of the honey.
- Divide among 4 bowls, top each with a tablespoonful of yogurt and a drizzle of honey to taste, then swirl through and serve.
Rice pudding is notoriously calorific, but simple to make healthier. We’ve swapped the classic cream and full-fat milk combination for semi-skimmed milk, adding just enough Greek yogurt at the end to give that essential creamy texture.
Rate & review