Healthier Welsh rarebit
- February 2013
- for 4 people
- Ready in 15-20 minutes
Our version of the classic cheese toastie has all of the gooey, cheesy, savoury moreishness, with less fat and calories.
- Vegetarian recipes
Traditional version: 607kcals, 46.1g fat (26.5g saturated), 27.3g protein, 19.2g carbs (1.6g sugars), 2.1g salt, 0.8g fibre
delicious. makeover: 484 kcals, 26.8g fat (14.2g saturated), 24.2g protein, 18.7g carbs (2.4g sugars), 2g salt, 1.5g fibre
- 140g lancashire cheese, roughly chopped (see tip)
- ½ tsp English mustard powder
- A few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks
- 60ml Guinness, or other stout or porter
- 4 sourdough bread slices, lightly toasted
- Put all the ingredients except the slices of toast in a food processor and blend to a thick paste.
- Heat the grill to high, then divide the cheese mixture equally among the slices of toast and press down lightly with the back of a spoon. Put the cheese-covered slices on a lined baking sheet and grill until the cheese is golden, bubbling and dark in places. Serve immediately with a green salad, if you like
One of the keys to a luscious yet calorifically virtuous rarebit is top-quality, well-flavoured cheese. We love Mrs Kirkham’s lancashire (from speciality food shops and at Waitrose), which has a satisfying tang.
Rate & review