Herby chicken goujons with crispy new potatoes
- June 2009
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 mins, plus 40 mins cooking time
Kids will love these crispy chicken goujons and they’re ever so easy to make. Plus, this recipe costs less than £1.50 a head – result!
- Dairy-free recipes
- 44.7g (6.8g saturated)
- 72.2g (3.5g sugars)
- 100g plain flour, seasoned
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 800g new potatoes
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned, boned and cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/ gas 7. Place the flour in a bowl, the egg in a second bowl, and the breadcrumbs and thyme in a third.
- Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water for 12-15 minutes, then drain, lightly crush and place in a roasting tin with 2 tbsp of the oil and season. Roast for 30 minutes until crispy.
- Dust the chicken in the flour, then dip in the egg, followed by the herby breadcrumbs. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the goujons for 2-3 minutes, turning, until golden. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve the goujons and potatoes with mayonnaise for dipping, if you like.
Turn the goujons into chicken Kievs. Don’t slice the chicken thighs, bone them, then wrap them around some garlic butter, secure each one with a cocktail stick, and chill for 20 minutes. Continue with the recipe, but cook for 10-12 minutes in the oven.
Try adding different herbs to the breadcrumbs or a pinch of chilli flakes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Moroccan red lentil and lamb stew
This pressure cooker stew recipe can also be made using a conventional oven. A wonderfully...