Chicken shawarma kebabs
- February 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Grab a pack of pitta breads for this easy 30-minute meal; spiced chicken, onions and peppers are skewered and grilled before being drizzled in a garlic yoghurt dressing.
If you’ve got a bit more time on your hands, take a look at our chilli-marinated chicken kebabs, too.
- 12.1g (2.1g saturated)
- 52.1g (17.3g sugars)
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 peppers, roughly chopped
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 3 free-range chicken breasts, cut into 3cm chunks
- 1 tbsp baharat spice mix (from large supermarkets)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 8 tbsp plain yogurt
- Juice ½ lemon, the other half cut into wedges to serve
- 4 pittas or flatbreads
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Small handful fresh coriander
- Heat the grill to medium. Spread the onions and peppers over a large baking tray/sheet, drizzle with oil, then toss to coat.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken chunks and baharat spice with a drizzle of oil and some salt and black pepper. Thread the chunks onto 4 skewers. Put the skewers on top of the vegetables, then grill for 10-12 minutes, turning the skewers frequently, until the chicken is cooked through (the juices will
run clear when pierced with a skewer) and the vegetables have lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, grate half the garlic into a small bowl, then mix with the yogurt and lemon juice. Season to taste. Rub one side of each pitta/flatbread with the remainder of the garlic clove, then put under the grill to warm through for a minute or so.
- Put the warm flatbreads on a plate/platter, then top with the grilled vegetables and chicken skewers. Drizzle with a little garlic yogurt and pomegranate molasses, add fresh coriander and serve with the lemon wedges.
Rate & review