Parmesan chicken goujons with thyme tomatoes
- October 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook
Kids go wild for this succulent chicken goujon recipe, which manage to be crunchy and cheesy too!
- 19.5g (4.9g saturated)
- 27.4g (4g sugar)
- 4 free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 50g plain flour
- 1 large free-range egg
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- 40g fine quick-cook polenta (such as Merchant Gourmet)
- 30g fresh white fine breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
For the thyme tomatoes
- 300g cherry tomatoes, some halved, some quartered
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- Slice each chicken breast into 3 thick strips. Season the flour and place in a shallow bowl. Whisk the egg with the mustard in a second bowl, then combine the Parmesan, polenta and breadcrumbs in a third.
- Roll the chicken strips in the flour, shake off the excess, then dip in the egg. Finally, roll in the Parmesan crumbs. Chill on a plate, covered, for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
- For the thyme tomatoes, place the tomatoes in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and season. With the back of a fork, gently squash to release some juices and combine the flavours. Set aside to marinate.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat. Add the goujons and fry for 4 minutes, turning, until golden and crisp all over. Transfer to a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Sprinkle with salt and serve warm, with the thyme tomatoes on the side.
These goujons go really well with tomato chutney.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken and prawn skewers on greek salad
This light, fresh recipe tastes great and makes the perfect summer meal.
Midweek meal recipes
Griddled chicken with white beans and rocket pesto
Buttery griddled chicken breasts are served on a bed of pesto-coated cannellini beans in this...