Hoisin duck lettuce wraps
- July 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Donal Skehan’s cheat’s crispy duck is quick to prepare and packed full of classic Asian flavours. A tip: if you lightly bash the sesame seeds before scattering over, it’ll really bring out their flavour.
If you fancy a more filling meal, serve with sticky rice or noodles on the side.
For more of Donal’s recipes, visit donalskehan.com
- 23.2g (6g saturated)
- 16g (13.4g sugars)
- 4 confit duck legs (available in tins or from the prepared poultry section in larger supermarkets – see tips)
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 3 tbsp reduced salt light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 little gem lettuces, leaves separated
- ½ cucumber, peeled, sliced lengthways, seeds scooped out, then sliced into half moons
- 1 small carrot, peeled into strips
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (see intro)
- Lime wedges to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C/gas 6. Put the duck legs in a shallow roasting tin, then transfer to the oven and cook for 25 minutes (or cook according to the pack instructions).
- When the duck has almost finished cooking, heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add 2 tbsp oil from the roasting tin to the frying pan along with the ginger and garlic. Gently fry for 2-3 minutes until softened, then add the honey, both soy sauces, the hoisin and five spice, stirring to combine.
- When the duck is heated through and the skin has crisped, use two forks to shred the meat from the bones (discard the bones), then toss the meat with the sauce in the frying pan to coat.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter. Top with the saucy duck, cucumber, carrot, spring onions, chilli (if using), coriander and sesame seeds, then serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
If you have more time and want to have a go at making the duck confit yourself, click here.
Rate & review