Honey bread and butter pudding
- October 2013
- Serves 6
- 30 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook, plus macerating
By spreading the sliced bread with butter and honey, Debbie Major adds a new twist to the classic bread and butter pudding recipe.
Prefer the classic version? We’ve got that too.
- 35.3g (20.5g saturated)
- 49.1g (28.1g sugars)
- 100g raisins
- 1 small, fresh, unsliced loaf of good white bread (see tip)
- 50g butter, softened
- 5 tbsp set honey
- 250ml whole milk
- 250ml double cream
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste, or the seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- Put the raisins in a small bowl and pour over hot water to cover. Soak for 1 hour (or overnight if you can) so they plump up and soften.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Cut 7 x 5mm thick slices of bread (about 275g) from the loaf. Cut off the crusts, then spread on one side with the butter. Spread with 4 tbsp of the honey, then cut each slice diagonally into 4 triangles.
- Drain the raisins, then dry on kitchen paper. Lay half the triangles, honey-side up, in a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish (about 6cm deep) and sprinkle with half the raisins. Lay the rest of the triangles on top, honey-side up. Scatter over the rest of the raisins.
- Lightly whisk the milk, cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the bread and leave to soak for 5 minutes, pushing the bread down into the liquid every now and then to soak up the custard.
- Put the dish in a deep roasting tin. Pour hot water around the dish until halfway up its sides. Bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Remove the tin from the oven, then lift out the dish and let it rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Warm the remaining 1 tbsp honey in a small pan and drizzle over the pudding. Slide it under the grill for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm, with a little cream if you wish.
Make bread and butter pudding with a fresh, soft white loaf, sliced thinly and cook it until it’s only lightly set to produce a lighter pudding.
Bake 1 day before and chill, covered. Reheat, covered loosely with foil, in a 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6 oven for 20 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bread and butter pudding recipes
Bread and butter pudding with clementine and honey compote
This classic British pud is a great way of using up stale bread. You’ll love...