Honey bread and butter pudding
- October 2013
- Serves 6
- 30 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook, plus macerating
By spreading the sliced bread with butter and honey, Debbie Major adds a new twist to the classic bread and butter pudding recipe.
Prefer the classic version? We’ve got that too.
- 35.3g (20.5g saturated)
- 49.1g (28.1g sugars)
- 100g raisins
- 1 small, fresh, unsliced loaf of good white bread (see tip)
- 50g butter, softened
- 5 tbsp set honey
- 250ml whole milk
- 250ml double cream
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste, or the seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- Put the raisins in a small bowl and pour over hot water to cover. Soak for 1 hour (or overnight if you can) so they plump up and soften.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Cut 7 x 5mm thick slices of bread (about 275g) from the loaf. Cut off the crusts, then spread on one side with the butter. Spread with 4 tbsp of the honey, then cut each slice diagonally into 4 triangles.
- Drain the raisins, then dry on kitchen paper. Lay half the triangles, honey-side up, in a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish (about 6cm deep) and sprinkle with half the raisins. Lay the rest of the triangles on top, honey-side up. Scatter over the rest of the raisins.
- Lightly whisk the milk, cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the bread and leave to soak for 5 minutes, pushing the bread down into the liquid every now and then to soak up the custard.
- Put the dish in a deep roasting tin. Pour hot water around the dish until halfway up its sides. Bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Remove the tin from the oven, then lift out the dish and let it rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Warm the remaining 1 tbsp honey in a small pan and drizzle over the pudding. Slide it under the grill for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm, with a little cream if you wish.
Make bread and butter pudding with a fresh, soft white loaf, sliced thinly and cook it until it’s only lightly set to produce a lighter pudding.
Bake 1 day before and chill, covered. Reheat, covered loosely with foil, in a 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6 oven for 20 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bread and butter pudding recipes
Bread and butter pudding with clementine and honey compote
This classic British pud is a great way of using up stale bread. You’ll love...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...