Hot chocolate with churros
- October 2005
- for 4 people
- Ready in 30 minutes
Churros are sweet doughy snacks that originate from Spain. These treats are fried then dipped in rich hot chocolate – very nice and a bit naughty.
- 225g plain chocolate, with at least 60% cocoa solids, broken up
- 800ml full-cream milk
For the churros
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 100g plain flour
- 150ml full-cream milk
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 50g Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large, deep pan, heat the oil for deep frying the churros to 190°C or until a piece of bread takes 30 seconds to colour. Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2.
- Sift the flour onto a sheet of paper. Bring the milk and 150ml water to the boil in a pan, add the flour and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Cool slightly, then gradually beat in enough egg to make a smooth but stiff, glossy mixture that drops, reluctantly, off the spoon. Spoon into a piping bag with a large star nozzle.
- Holding the nozzle over the hot oil, gently squeeze the piping bag and snip off 6-8 x 10cm lengths of the mixture with kitchen scissors. Fry for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden brown. Lift out with a slotted spoon onto a baking tray lined with kitchen paper. Pop in the oven to keep warm while you cook the rest.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and rest over a pan of just simmering water until completely melted. Meanwhile, bring the milk to the boil in a small pan. Remove the chocolate from the heat and whisk in a little of the hot milk. Add the rest and whisk until frothy. Pour into hot mugs.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon and toss with the churros gently until lightly coated. Serve for dipping into the hot chocolate.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter