Hot chocolate with churros
- October 2005
- for 4 people
- Ready in 30 minutes
Churros are sweet doughy snacks that originate from Spain. These treats are fried then dipped in rich hot chocolate – very nice and a bit naughty.
- 225g plain chocolate, with at least 60% cocoa solids, broken up
- 800ml full-cream milk
For the churros
- Sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 100g plain flour
- 150ml full-cream milk
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 50g Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large, deep pan, heat the oil for deep frying the churros to 190°C or until a piece of bread takes 30 seconds to colour. Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2.
- Sift the flour onto a sheet of paper. Bring the milk and 150ml water to the boil in a pan, add the flour and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Cool slightly, then gradually beat in enough egg to make a smooth but stiff, glossy mixture that drops, reluctantly, off the spoon. Spoon into a piping bag with a large star nozzle.
- Holding the nozzle over the hot oil, gently squeeze the piping bag and snip off 6-8 x 10cm lengths of the mixture with kitchen scissors. Fry for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until crisp and golden brown. Lift out with a slotted spoon onto a baking tray lined with kitchen paper. Pop in the oven to keep warm while you cook the rest.
- Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and rest over a pan of just simmering water until completely melted. Meanwhile, bring the milk to the boil in a small pan. Remove the chocolate from the heat and whisk in a little of the hot milk. Add the rest and whisk until frothy. Pour into hot mugs.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon and toss with the churros gently until lightly coated. Serve for dipping into the hot chocolate.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
World-beating hot chocolate
If you want to make the best hot chocolate, you’re in the right place –...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...