- November 2021
- Serves 5
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 50 min
Give meatballs a flavour boost by adding spicy ‘nduja sausage. Batch cook the meatballs and freeze ahead ready to serve with polenta or pasta.
Got some ‘nduja leftover? Put it to delicious use in our aubergine al forno with ‘nduja recipe.
- 26.2g (8.8g saturated)
- 25.1g (11g sugars)
- 500g free-range pork mince
- 100g soft white breadcrumbs
- 70g ’nduja, chopped (from Waitrose, M&S, Ocado or good delis) – or use chorizo
- ½ small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus a drizzle
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 3 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes, whizzed in a food processor or use crushed tomatoes
- 150ml whole milk
- Pasta (spaghetti, tagliatelle or your choice), grated parmesan and basil leaves to serve
- Put the mince in a large mixing bowl with the breadcrumbs, ’nduja, parsley, egg yolk and salt. Squish together with your hands until well combined. Divide the mixture into 15 balls, setting aside on a plate, or cover and chill until needed.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a hob-safe casserole (with a lid) over a low heat, add the onion and a pinch of salt, then fry for 10-12 minutes or until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with a large pinch of sugar, cover and cook for 10 minutes over a low heat, then stir in the milk. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the meatballs and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes, turning often, until evenly browned. Transfer the meatballs to the pan of tomato sauce. Put the lid on and simmer gently for 40 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs tossed with cooked pasta, topping with grated parmesan, basil leaves and a drizzle of oil to finish.
Cook the sauce and meatballs, then portion and freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat until piping hot and serve with the pasta or rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...