Hot smoked trout with Provençale vinaigrette
- October 2006
- 8 thick slices country bread
- 2 heads Little Gem lettuce
- 200g hot-smoked trout (from the chiller cabinet in supermarkets)
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tomato, deseeded and finely diced
- ½ tsp sun-dried tomato paste
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 25g pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Toast the bread slices until just golden and divide between 4 plates. Break the lettuce heads into separate leaves, wash, dry, then put a handful on top of each slice of toast. Break the trout up into large chunks and drop on top of the leaves.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, diced tomato, tomato paste, onion, olives and dill. Season well, taste and add the sugar, if necessary.
- Spoon the dressing over the trout and around the bread to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Whisky-cured sea trout on cream cheese and pumpernickel with apple salad
A wonderful do-ahead recipe. The curing flavours also work well with salmon if you prefer.
Trout terrine with capers, chopped egg, dill and chives
Served with fresh crusty bread and sharp pickled cucumbers, Gill Meller’s trout terrine is studded...