Hot-smoked trout, new potato and beetroot salad
- July 2018
- Serves 3-4
- Hands-on 20 min, simmering 30 min
Gill Meller showcases hot-smoked trout by pairing it with new potatoes, beetroot and horseradish in the form of a hearty summer salad.
You might also love our chicken, dill and potato salad with rye croutons.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 8.9g (1.7g saturated)
- 25.2g (10.5g sugars)
- 4 smallish uncooked beetroot, trimmed and scrubbed
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 400g new potatoes, such as jersey royals or cornish earlies
- 200g hot-smoked trout, skin removed and flaked into large pieces
- Lemon juice to serve
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp hot horseradish sauce
- 2 tbsp thick natural yogurt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh dill, chopped, a few fronds reserved to finish
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, sweetness or acidity as you want to.
- Put the beetroot in a saucepan, cover with salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until they take the point of a knife with ease. Drain the beetroot and, when they’re cool enough to handle, slip off their skins, cut them into bite-size pieces and put them in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, scrub the potatoes, cut them into bite-size pieces, then put in a pan of salted water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and, while still warm, toss with 1 tbsp of the dressing, season with salt and pepper and allow to cool a little.
- Tip the dressed potatoes onto a serving platter. Arrange the beetroot over the top, followed by the smoked trout. Spoon the dressing over the salad and finish with a scattering of feathery dill sprigs, a squeeze of lemon juice, some sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
Prepare the salad a few hours ahead and keep covered somewhere cool or in the fridge. Bring back to room temperature and toss with the dressing just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...