Hot-smoked trout, new potato and beetroot salad
- July 2018
- Serves 3-4
- Hands-on 20 min, simmering 30 min
Gill Meller showcases hot-smoked trout by pairing it with new potatoes, beetroot and horseradish in the form of a hearty summer salad.
You might also love our chicken, dill and potato salad with rye croutons.
- 8.9g (1.7g saturated)
- 25.2g (10.5g sugars)
- 4 smallish uncooked beetroot, trimmed and scrubbed
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 400g new potatoes, such as jersey royals or cornish earlies
- 200g hot-smoked trout, skin removed and flaked into large pieces
- Lemon juice to serve
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp hot horseradish sauce
- 2 tbsp thick natural yogurt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh dill, chopped, a few fronds reserved to finish
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, sweetness or acidity as you want to.
- Put the beetroot in a saucepan, cover with salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until they take the point of a knife with ease. Drain the beetroot and, when they’re cool enough to handle, slip off their skins, cut them into bite-size pieces and put them in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, scrub the potatoes, cut them into bite-size pieces, then put in a pan of salted water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and, while still warm, toss with 1 tbsp of the dressing, season with salt and pepper and allow to cool a little.
- Tip the dressed potatoes onto a serving platter. Arrange the beetroot over the top, followed by the smoked trout. Spoon the dressing over the salad and finish with a scattering of feathery dill sprigs, a squeeze of lemon juice, some sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
Prepare the salad a few hours ahead and keep covered somewhere cool or in the fridge. Bring back to room temperature and toss with the dressing just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
April seasonal recipes
Asparagus farinata with trout, poached egg and hollandaise
Farinata – a thick, fluffy Italian pancake made with chickpea...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter