Indonesian pork rendang
- November 2016
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 40 min, simmering time 3 hours 30 min
Keep calm and curry on with make-ahead pork rendang – a traditional Indonesian recipe that is full of warming flavours and slow-cooked until the meat melts in your mouth.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 52.7g (33.5g saturated)
- 9.6g (6.4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for frying
- 400g shallots, quartered
- 50g fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 red chilli, stalk removed, plus extra red chilli, sliced, to serve
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- Large bunch fresh coriander, leaves and stalks separated
- 3 x 400ml tins coconut milk
- 1.5kg British pork shoulder, excess fat removed, diced into 3cm cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemongrass stick, bruised
- Juice 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- Steamed rice to serve
- Heat a glug of oil in a flameproof lidded casserole and fry the shallots for 5 minutes over a medium heat, then turn off the heat. Put half the shallots in a food processor with the ginger, ground spices, chilli flakes, salt, the whole chilli, garlic, coriander stalks, 2 tbsp of the coconut milk and 2 tbsp oil. Whizz to a rough paste.
- Turn the heat under the casserole back to medium and add the pork. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring, to brown. Add the spice paste, fry for a minute, then add the remaining coconut milk, bay leaves and lemongrass. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat to very low. Cover and leave to simmer gently for 2 hours 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn up the heat until the curry bubbles merrily, then cook uncovered for 40 minutes more, stirring every now and then to stop it sticking. The sauce should be thick and the meat falling apart. Stir in the lime juice, sprinkle over the coriander leaves and extra chilli, then serve with rice and the lime wedges for squeezing over.
Make the curry up to 48 hours in advance, put in a sealed container and keep in the fridge, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Real black bean chilli con carne with avocado and lime salsa
A real beef and black bean chilli con carne that’s slow-cooked until rich, thick and...
Batch cooking recipes
Southern style slow cooker beef chilli with cornbread topping
Stick a batch of richly flavoured beef chilli in the slow cooker and this gloriously...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...