Jerusalem artichokes with bacon, garlic and lemon
- January 2011
- Serves 8
- Takes 30 min to make, 15-20 min to cook
Jerusalem artichokes have a deliciously unique nutty flavour that goes wonderfully with the bacon, garlic and lemon. A deliciously comforting winter dish.
- 12.2g (4.6g saturated)
- 20.1g (3.1g sugar)
- 1 lemon
- 2kg jerusalem artichokes
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 40g butter
- 150g unsmoked, rindless streaky bacon
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Finely grate the zest from the lemon onto a plate, cover with cling film and set aside to use later. Halve the lemon, squeeze out the juice and put the juice and lemon halves into a bowl with plenty of cold water. Peel the artichokes, cut away the ends, then cut into two if very long. Trim a little from each end to give barrel-shaped pieces, then drop them into the lemony water as you go, to stop them discolouring.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil and half the butter in a large sauté pan or deep frying pan over a medium heat. Drain the artichokes, dry them well, add to the pan and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Partially cover the pan with a lid and leave to part-steam, part-fry for 15-20 minutes until just tender, turning regularly. Don’t cook them too fast or handle them too roughly – they may collapse.
- Meanwhile, cut the bacon into lardons. Five minutes before the artichokes are cooked, heat the remaining oil in another large frying pan or shallow flameproof casserole. Add the bacon and fry gently until just turning golden. Add the garlic and leave to cook for a few seconds, then stir in the remaining butter, reserved lemon zest and parsley.
- Carefully tip the cooked artichokes into the second pan and gently toss everything together. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve.
If the artichokes you buy are very knobbly, throw a few more into the bag as you’ll lose some of the volume in the peelings.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...