Kung pao cauliflower
- October 2019
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 25 min
A spicy Chinese favourite gets a low-cal veggie makeover, with less than 250 calories per portion. The sauce also works well with tofu, or opt for sliced chicken breast for a meatier version.
For another show-stopping way with this winter veg, check out our whole baked cauliflower with pearl barley, wild mushrooms and cheese.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 14g (2.6g saturated)
- 12.2g (7.7g sugars)
- A few sprays Frylight Vegetable Oil (from large supermarkets)
- 1 small cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 1.5cm thick slices
- ½-1 tsp sichuan peppercorns (from large supermarkets), roughly crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger
- 2 spring onions, white and green parts sliced separately
- 2-3 dried red chillies (optional)
- 1 tbsp tamari (check it’s gluten-free, if necessary)
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 50g roasted unsalted peanuts
- Pinch toasted sesame seeds
- Fresh coriander leaves to serve
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Spray a little oil on the base of a baking tray, add the cauliflower slices and spray again with oil. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the peppercorns, garlic, ginger, white parts of the spring onion, dried chillies (if using), tamari and chilli sauce in a small bowl (see Make Ahead).
- After the 20 minutes’ cooking time, pour the dressing over the cauliflower and return to the oven for 5-6 minutes. Scatter over the remaining ingredients to serve.
Next time, try this sauce with tofu or sliced chicken breast (if you’re not vegan/vegetarian).
Make the sauce up to a few hours ahead and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower steaks with caper butter and parsley breadcrumbs
”This makes an excellent vegetarian main course option if you add a grain salad to...
Vegan dinner recipes
Roasted caulifower and grain salad with pomegranate
April Bloomfield shares her vegetarian recipe which is packed with cauliflower, grains, onions, pistachios and...
Spiced cauliflower steaks, halloumi and pickled red onions
This easy vegetarian tray bake recipe sees spiced cauliflower steaks, grilled halloumi and sweet pomegranate...