Spiced roast cauliflower with barley couscous
- April 2016
- Serves 4
- Hand-on 15 min, oven time 25 min
Roasted cauliflower, onion and pepper are served on a bed of fluffy couscous and drizzled with a tahini and herb dressing in this Middle-Eastern inspired vegetarian recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.7g (3.6g saturated)
- 60.1g (19.8g sugars)
For the cauliflower
- 1 medium cauliflower, outer leaves and thick stem removed, cut into florets
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp ground cumin,
- ½ tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli flakes – preferably aleppo
For the barley couscous
- 200g barley couscous
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 250ml vegetable stock, hot
- 150ml boiling water
For the herby dressing
- Juice 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g flaked almonds, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan
- 50g sultanas
- Large handful fresh mint, chopped
- Small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Yogurt and chilli flakes (optional) to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the barley couscous in a large mixing bowl, add the lemon zest, then pour over the stock and boiling water. Stir gently, cover the bowl with cling film, then set aside for 5 minutes. Once all the water has been absorbed, fluff up the couscous slightly using a fork, then set aside to cool.
- Put the cauliflower, peppers and red onion into a large baking tray and toss in the olive oil. Mix all the spices together in a small bowl, then sprinkle them over the vegetables, tossing well to coat. Season well, then roast in the oven for 25 minutes, turning halfway, until the edges start to blacken.
- For the dressing, mix together the lemon juice, olive oil, tahini and garlic in a small bowl, season well with salt and pepper, then gently stir into the couscous along with the almonds, sultanas, herbs and the roasted vegetables. Serve with yogurt on the side and, if you like, an extra sprinkling of chilli flakes.
The couscous can be made ahead and kept covered in the fridge for up to a day.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower steaks with caper butter and parsley breadcrumbs
”This makes an excellent vegetarian main course option if you add a grain salad to...