Lemon and garlic chicken with couscous
- May 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus marinating
Our lemon and garlic chicken, served with couscous and fresh herbs, is a supper that’s full of sunshine. Made with chicken thighs and ingredients from your storecupboard, it’s a recipe you’ll return to again and again.
Looking for something similar for a weekend feast? Sophie Michell’s lemon and garlic roast chicken will hit the spot.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 18.6g (3.5g saturated)
- 32.3g (1.8g sugars)
- 8 free-range bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 lemons
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion
- 320ml chicken stock
- 240g couscous
- Large handful fresh parsley
- Large handful fresh mint, plus extra
- Remove and discard the skin from the thighs. Grate the zest from the lemons and set aside. Squeeze the lemon juice into a large bowl with 2 tbsp of the oil. Season, add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes (or see tip.)
- Heat a large griddle pan over a high heat, then sear the thighs for 5 minutes on each side. Reduce the heat and cook for 5-10 minutes more until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the garlic and onion. In a frying pan, heat ½ tbsp of the remaining olive oil over a low heat. Fry the garlic and onion for 5 minutes until soft.
- Heat the stock in a small pan until it comes to the boil. Put the couscous in a heatproof bowl, pour over the stock, cover and stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff up with a fork, then stir through the rest of the oil and the onion and garlic mix. Chop the herbs, then mix through the couscous with the lemon zest and season. Serve with the chicken, garnished with extra mint.
Leave the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or chill for up to 24 hours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Garlic roast chicken with rosemary and pancetta
The combined flavour of the garlic with the butter, rosemary and lemon infuse both the...