Lemon and horseradish fishcakes
- June 2011
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook, plus chilling
Serve this fiery fishcake recipe with steamed green veg or salad for a healthy meal for two.
- 200g hot-smoked salmon fillet
- 1½ tbsp hot horseradish from a jar
- 1 lemon, plus wedges to garnish
- 400g creamy mashed potato
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 110g pack spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 135g mayonnaise
- 100g bag Italian-style salad
- Put the salmon in a large bowl and flake with a fork. Add 1 tbsp of the horseradish, the grated zest of half the lemon, the mash and a little black pepper. Mix together well. Heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the spring onions and fry for 1-2 minutes until softened but not coloured. Cool slightly, then stir into the fishcake mix.
- Shape into 4 fishcakes, put on a plate, dust with the flour, cover with cling film and chill for at least 10 minutes to firm up. Meanwhile, make the lemon mayonnaise. Mix the remaining horseradish into the fresh mayonnaise with the grated zest of the rest of the lemon, reserving a little zest for garnish. Season with black pepper, add a squeeze of lemon juice and mix well. Top the mayonnaise with the reserved lemon zest.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and, when hot, add the fishcakes. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve straight from the pan with the lemon mayonnaise, salad and lemon wedges, drizzled with the remaining olive oil and a little lemon juice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Thai fishcakes with cucumber salad and dipping sauce
Thai-style fishcakes served with a cucumber salad makes for an easy, fresh and flavoursome dinner...