Thai fishcakes with cucumber salad and dipping sauce
- May 2017
- Serves 2 or 4 as a starter
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus chilling
Thai-style fishcakes served with a cucumber salad makes for an easy, fresh and flavoursome dinner party starter, or a light main course.
- 20.5g (1.9g saturated)
- 10.4g (7.8g sugars)
- 400g sustainable firm white fish fillets such as cod or coley, cut into chunks
- 1 large spring onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste (we used Waitrose Ingredients)
- Finely grated zest 1 lime
- 1 large free-range egg white
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the dipping sauce
- 1 salad onion, very finely chopped
- ¼ carrot, very finely diced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- Juice 1 lime
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp palm sugar or brown sugar
For the salad
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded and sliced into half moons
- Handful toasted cashews or peanuts, roughly chopped
- Small bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- Small bunch fresh mint, leaves picked and roughly shredded
- Put the fish in a food processor with the roughly chopped spring onion, curry paste, lime zest and egg white. Whizz to a smooth paste. Divide the mixture into 6-8 equal-size fishcakes. Put on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper, then chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dipping sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat a glug of oil in a wide frying pan until it shimmers. Fry the fishcakes, in batches, for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
- Toss together the salad ingredients in a bowl, stir the dipping sauce again, then serve alongside the fishcakes.
Thai curry paste varies in heat. If yours is very spicy, add only 1 tbsp in step 1. Or serve with chopped green chilli to boost the heat, if you like.
Make to the end of step 1 up to 24 hours ahead; keep covered in the fridge. Alternatively, fry the fishcakes as in step 3, then cool, cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Reheat in a 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6 oven for about 15 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot-smoked salmon and parsley fishcakes with lemon mayonnaise and homemade chips
Forget fish and chips, we’re all about these easy hot-smoked...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter