Mediterranean-style chicken pie
- November 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
We’ve given what is traditionally a high-calorie recipe a healthy makeover. Our chicken pie is packed with mediterranean flavours and is topped with a light filo pastry.
- 25.9g (9.5g saturated)
- 35.4g (4.7g sugars)
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- 40g plain flour
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk
- 300ml good quality chicken stock
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- Spray olive oil
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika, plus extra to sprinkle
- 450g free-range cooked skinless chicken breasts
- 185g chargrilled vegetables in oil (we used Waitrose), drained
- 100g mixed olives and feta, from a pack
- A few fresh oregano sprigs, leaves picked
- Lemon juice to taste, plus wedges to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Whisk together the butter, flour, milk and stock in a medium saucepan. Put the pan over a medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, whisking every minute or so to form a thick, smooth béchamel sauce.
- Scrunch up the filo sheets and put ona baking tray. Spray generously with oil and sprinkle each with a pinch of paprika. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Shred the chicken breasts using 2 forks. Once the béchamel sauce has thickened, stir in the ½ tsp paprika, chicken, chargrilled vegetables, the olive and feta mix and the oregano. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice, then cook until just boiling and the chicken is piping hot.
- Serve a generous spoonful of pie filling per person, topped with a piece of crisp filo. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over.
This speedy version of chicken pie also cleverly cuts the calories, too. We swapped high-fat pastry for lighter filo, and the all-in-one white sauce pie filling is made with semi-skimmed milk and stock. The flavour is boosted with vegetables, paprika, olives and feta for an indulgently rich, creamy flavour.
Rate & review