Chicken and broccoli pie
- October 2011
- Serves 5
- 40 minutes to make, 50-55 minutes to cook
Got some leftovers from your roast chicken? Use them up in this creamy, comforting pie recipe.
If you’re looking for something a little spicier, try our chicken jalfrezi pie.
- 39.5g (20.6g saturated)
- 32.2g (3.8g sugars)
- 75g butter
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 head (about 200g) of broccoli, broken into small florets
- Bowl of iced water
- 2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 350ml chicken stock, hot
- 1 heaped tsp English mustard
- 150ml single cream
- 400g cooked chicken, torn into bite-size pieces
- 350g all-butter puff pastry
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Melt 25g of the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion and cook slowly for 15 minutes or until softened and caramelised. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli for 3-4 minutes until al dente, refresh in a bowl of iced water, then drain.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large pan over a medium heat, add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring well to combine. Gradually add the stock, whisking constantly until it thickens. If it goes a bit lumpy, don’t worry; just whisk briskly until smooth. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Season well and add the mustard. Stir in the cream, then simmer for a further minute.
- Add the broccoli and chicken to the sauce and stir well. Transfer the mixture to a 1.5 litre pie dish.
- On a floured work surface, roll the pastry out to the thickness of a pound coin, making sure it’s large enough to cover the top of the dish. Brush the edges of the dish with a little beaten egg and place the pastry on top. Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Use a sharp knife to make a small hole in the centre of the pastry to allow the steam to escape, then cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked chicken, mushroom and thyme brown rice risotto
Who has the time to stir risotto these days? Simply combine the ingredients and the...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...