Meringue ghosts for Halloween
- October 2019
- Makes around 20 medium ghosts
- Hands-on time 30 min, cook time 1 hour 30 min
Our easy-to-make mini meringue ghosts are the perfect treat for Halloween. Give them to trick-or-treaters who come knocking or use them to top our spectacular celebration cake.
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- 60g caster sugar
- 60g icing sugar
- A little melted dark chocolate or a writing icing pen
- Put the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment fitted and whisk to stiff peaks – when you lift out the beaters the egg white forms peaks that don’t flop over at the tip.
- Mix the caster sugar with the icing sugar, then add to the egg whites 1 tbsp at a time, whisking back to stiff peaks after each addition. Continue until all the sugar is incorporated, then transfer the mixture to a piping bag.
- Pipe the ghosts on to a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper – it’s fun to make a range of sizes, then bake at 120C/100C fan/gas ½ for 1 hour 30 minutes until crisp.
- Cool completely, then pipe faces on to the ghosts with a little melted dark chocolate or a writing icing pen.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Peter Gordon’s pumpkin, ginger, chickpea and cheese soup
This chunky pumpkin soup recipe by Peter Gordon could almost be a meal in itself –...
Pumpkin and peanut curry
This rich and cream pumpkin curry recipe is a perfect winter warmer. If you can’t...