Meringue ghosts for Halloween
- October 2019
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- 60g caster sugar
- 60g icing sugar
- A little melted dark chocolate or a writing icing pen
- Put the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment fitted and whisk to stiff peaks – when you lift out the beaters the egg white forms peaks that don’t flop over at the tip.
- Mix the caster sugar with the icing sugar, then add to the egg whites 1 tbsp at a time, whisking back to stiff peaks after each addition. Continue until all the sugar is incorporated, then transfer the mixture to a piping bag.
- Pipe the ghosts on to a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper – it’s fun to make a range of sizes, then bake at 120C/100C fan/gas ½ for 1 hour 30 minutes until crisp.
- Cool completely, then pipe faces on to the ghosts with a little melted dark chocolate or a writing icing pen.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter