Mince pies with hazelnut streusel topping
- December 2010
- Makes 24
- Takes 45 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook, plus chilling
This recipe puts a unique spin on traditional mince pies with a crunchy hazelnut streusel topping.
- 9.8g (4.3g saturated)
- 27.9g (14.3g sugar)
- 500g buttery apple and hazelnut mincemeat
- Icing sugar for dusting
For the pastry
- 350g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 90g chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 90g chilled lard or white vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
- Butter for greasing
For the streusel topping
- 50g plain flour
- 30g butter, at room temperature
- 25g demerara sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 25g lightly toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- For the pastry, sift the flour, icing sugar and salt into a food processor or mixing bowl, add the butter and lard/vegetable shortening, then work it together until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Put in a bowl, then stir in 3-4 tbsp cold water with a round-bladed knife until the mixture comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth. Divide into 2 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of pastry out on a lightly floured surface and cut out 24 x 7cm rounds using a fluted cutter, re-kneading and rolling the trimmings. Lightly grease 2 x 12-hole patty tins with butter and line with the pastry discs. Spoon 1 tbsp mincemeat into each case. Chill for 20 minutes.
- For the streusel topping, sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and the cinnamon and work it a little more between your fingers until the mixture forms little nuggets. Stir in the hazelnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Spoon 1 heaped tsp streusel mix over each pie, then bake for 25 minutes until golden. Carefully remove to a rack. Leave for 3-4 minutes, dust with icing sugar and serve warm or cold. ›
You can make an all-butter pastry for these mince pies, if you wish, but you’ll get lighter results if you use some lard or white vegetable shortening.
Freeze the unbaked pies in trays for at least 4 hours or overnight. Transfer to plastic boxes, layered with baking paper between, for up to 3 months. To cook, bake from frozen but for a few minutes longer.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...