Meringue-topped mince pies
- December 2008
- Makes 12
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 18-19 minutes to cook, plus chilling
These meringue-topped mince pies are a must-make recipe for this Christmas season.
- 8.1g (4.5g saturated)
- 32.6g ( 20.8g sugar)
- 12 heaped tbsp mincemeat (use ready-made or see know-how)
- 1 quantity home-made pastry
For the meringue
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 125g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Thinly roll out 1 quantity home-made pastry on a lightly floured surface. Press out 12 circles with a 7-8cm cutter and use to line a 12-hole mince pie or bun tin. Prick the bases with a fork and fill with scrunched foil. Blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and spoon 1 heaped tbsp mincemeat into each pastry case and warm for 5 minutes in the oven.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt to medium peaks in a mixer, then gradually add the sugar. Whisk until stiff and glossy.
- Dollop the meringue onto the pies and bake for 3-4 minutes, until lightly golden. Makes 12.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Clementine and pistachio mince pies
When you’re eating mince pies every day, it’s nice to bite in to something a...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...