Meringue-topped mince pies
- December 2008
- Makes 12
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 18-19 minutes to cook, plus chilling
These meringue-topped mince pies are a must-make recipe for this Christmas season.
- 8.1g (4.5g saturated)
- 32.6g ( 20.8g sugar)
- 12 heaped tbsp mincemeat (use ready-made or see know-how)
- 1 quantity home-made pastry
For the meringue
- 2 large free-range egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 125g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Thinly roll out 1 quantity home-made pastry on a lightly floured surface. Press out 12 circles with a 7-8cm cutter and use to line a 12-hole mince pie or bun tin. Prick the bases with a fork and fill with scrunched foil. Blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and spoon 1 heaped tbsp mincemeat into each pastry case and warm for 5 minutes in the oven.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt to medium peaks in a mixer, then gradually add the sugar. Whisk until stiff and glossy.
- Dollop the meringue onto the pies and bake for 3-4 minutes, until lightly golden. Makes 12.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Clementine and pistachio mince pies
When you’re eating mince pies every day, it’s nice to bite in to something a...