Mini meringues with cream and fresh fruit
- July 2009
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 284ml double cream
- 300g blueberries and raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 120°C/fan100°C/gas ½ and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Separate the eggs and put the whites in a clean bowl (save the yolks for scrambled eggs on toast!). Put the bowl on a folded tea towel so it doesn’t slip. Using an electric hand whisk, whisk the egg whites on a low speed until they turn white. Gradually increase the speed and whisk until the whites form soft peaks when you lift the whisk out.
- Add a little sugar, whisk, then add another spoonful of sugar and whisk again. Continue until you have added half the sugar. Tip in the rest and give it a final quick whisk. Don’t over-whisk or it won’t hold its shape in the oven.
- Dollop large spoonfuls of meringue onto the baking sheets. Use a teaspoon to hollow out the middle of each one so that it has slightly higher sides and a flat middle, like a nest.
- 5. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the meringues feel crisp and lift off the paper easily. Ask an adult to take them out of the oven and leave to cool. In a bowl, whisk the cream until you have soft peaks (just like for the egg whites). Spoon the cream into the meringues and top with the berries.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Brown-sugar meringues with hazelnut butterscotch sauce
Can you make meringues with brown sugar? Yes you can. John Whaite uses brown sugar...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...