Muscovado sugar fudge
- October 2005
- Makes approximately 70 small squares
- Ready in about 1 hour 15 minutes
Make homemade fudge, with muscovado sugar, and give as a gift or enjoy as a tea time treat.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 225g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 410ml can evaporated milk
- 900g Billington’s Light or Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Lightly grease a 22 x 32cm Swiss roll tin (at least 1.5cm deep) with melted butter.
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan over a low heat. Add the evaporated milk, 200ml water, the sugar and vanilla extract and stir with a whisk until the sugar has completely dissolved. Turn the heat up and simmer vigorously, whisking every now and then, for 50 minutes-1 hour, until the mixture reaches 116-118°C (the soft-ball stage). To test, take the pan off the heat and drop a small blob of the mixture into a bowl of cold water. It should be firm but still malleable.
- Plunge the base of the pan into cold water for a few minutes to stop the mixture cooking further, then leave to cool to 110°C (about 5 minutes). Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens, loses its shine and begins to sound almost gritty on the pan base. Quickly pour into the prepared tin and leave to go cold, then cut into squares.
You’ll need a sugar thermometer to make this fudge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...