- August 2011
- Makes 25 x 4cm squares of fudge
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook, plus setting
This homemade chocolate and butterscotch fudge recipe makes a great edible gift – if you can bear to part with it. We’ve shown it here in a summery setting, but you could pop in a mini hamper or ribbon-tied glass jar for Christmas.
- 7.2g (4.6g saturated)
- 14.2g (13.8g sugars)
- no salt
For the chocolate fudge
- A little groundnut oil for greasing
- 500g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp glucose syrup (from the baking section in major supermarkets)
- 300ml double cream
- 150g unsalted butter, chopped
- 150g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
For the butterscotch fudge
- 500g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp glucose syrup
- 300ml double cream
- 150g unsalted butter
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Lightly oil a 20cm square cake tin. For the chocolate fudge, mix the sugar, glucose syrup, double cream, butter and chocolate in a large deep saucepan. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring until everything is dissolved.
- When the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring ccasionally to prevent it catching on the bottom, for 10-15 minutes or until the sugar thermometer shows that it has reached 117°C. Remove from the heat and carefully pour into a large bowl. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the mixture for 8 minutes or until it thickens. Pour into the oiled tin and smooth the surface. Leave to cool, then transfer to the fridge for about 5 hours or overnight to set.
- Make the butterscotch fudge by putting all the ingredients (apart from the icing sugar) in a pan and heating as above. Carefully remove the vanilla pod with a fork, then sift over the icing sugar before whisking. Pour over the chocolate fudge layer and leave to set.
- Remove the set fudge from the tin and chop into squares to serve.
You will need a sugar thermometer for this recipe. Don’t be tempted to dip your finger into the fudge to taste it while it’s cooking – it will be exceptionally hot!
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter