Hazelnut and ginger chocolate fudge bark
- June 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 8-10 min, plus freezing
It’s guaranteed to be love at first bite when you try Vladia Cobrdova’s chocolate date fudge. Chewy, rich and studded with hazelnuts – it’s perfect with a strong coffee.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 37.8g (12.6g saturated)
- 12.2g (8.7g sugars)
- 210g shelled hazelnuts (unroasted)
- 5 pitted dates
- 3 tsp white chia seeds
- 40g cacao powder
- 25g LSA meal (ground linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds, from health food shops)
- 125ml coconut milk
- 60ml coconut oil, melted, plus 1 tsp extra
- 50g fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 3 tsp raw honey
You’ll also need…
- Baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Spread the hazelnuts over a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper, then roast for 8-10 minutes until they start to change colour. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, whizz the dates, chia seeds, cacao powder, LSA meal, coconut milk, coconut oil and 1 tbsp water in a blender until smooth. This is your date fudge.
- Put the extra teaspoon of coconut oil and the chopped ginger in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Stir for 3 minutes or until the ginger begins to turn golden. Add the honey and cook for another 2 minutes or until it begins to crystallise. Remove from the heat, then add the toasted hazelnuts to the pan and combine well.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the date fudge and stir to combine, then spread the mixture thinly over the base of the prepared baking tray in a roughly square shape. Put in the freezer for about 30-40 minutes until the bark has set hard. To serve, break up into shards or slice into rough pieces.
If you can’t find LSA meal, just use one of the ingredients listed, or a mixture of what you can find.
This is best made on the day and finished up within 2-3 days. Keep in a sealed container in the freezer.
You can buy raw (not heat- treated or pasteurised) honey in large supermarkets and health food shops. Or use regular clear honey, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Orange and pomegranate salad with orange blossom cream
Donal Skehan’s winter fruit salad recipe is a healthy mix of oranges, pomegranate and pistachios...