Mushroom and chard baked eggs
- October 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min, oven time 20-25 min
Make sure you have crusty bread to dunk into this heavenly combination of swiss chard, mushrooms and runny baked eggs in a cheesy creamy sauce.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 46.6g (26.9g saturated)
- 5.2g (3.1g sugars)
- 250g swiss chard, leaves and stems separated
- 25g unsalted butter, plus an extra knob
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g mixed seasonal mushrooms, big ones roughly sliced
- 200ml double cream
- Small bunch fresh curly parsley, leaves finely chopped
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 100g melting cheese (such as gruyère, cheddar or stilton), grated or crumbled
- Squeeze lemon juice to serve
You’ll also need…
- 1.2-1.5 litre ovenproof dish
- Finely chop the chard stems and roughly chop the leaves. Put the stems in a colander in the sink and pour over a kettleful of boiling water. Drain, then mix in the leaves and set aside. Melt the 25g butter in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the onion. Cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add an extra knob of butter to the pan and turn up the heat, then add the mushrooms with some salt. Fry over a high heat for 5-6 minutes, turning only once, until coloured and softened. Return the onion mixture to the pan and reduce the heat. Add the chard and pour in the cream, then stir in the parsley. Bring to a bubble, season, then transfer to the ovenproof dish.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Make 4 indentations in the mixture and crack an egg into each one, gently pushing the yolks down with the back of a spoon so they’re covered by white. Sprinkle the cheese on top then, if you want runny yolks, cover each egg with a small tent of oiled foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the eggs are set. Eat straightaway with crusty bread and a squeeze of lemon juice, if you like.
Rate & review