Mushroom and chestnut filo pie
- February 2008
- Serves 4 people
- Takes 30 minutes to make plus cooling
It’s flavoursome and vegetarian. Our mushroom and chestnut filo pie recipe can be made in just 30 minutes. Plenty of cream, garlic and leeks bring this recipe alive.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 42.6g (26g saturated)
- 33.8g (5.4g sugar)
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 750g mixed mushrooms (we used girolle, chestnut and oyster), wiped clean and thickly sliced
- 150ml dry white wine
- 200g pack cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 142ml carton double cream
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- Leaves from a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 8 fresh filo pastry sheets
- Melt 40g of the butter in large, deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften. Add the mushrooms, increase the heat to high and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until wilted slightly.
- Add the wine to the pan and bubble until nearly all of it has evaporated. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the chestnuts, cream, lemon juice and half the thyme leaves. Simmer gently for a few minutes, until the sauce has reduced a little, then season to taste. Transfer to a deep, 1.5-litre freezerproof and ovenproof dish and cool completely.
- Stir the remaining thyme into the remaining melted butter. Brush half the filo pastry sheets with some of the thyme butter, lay 1 unbuttered filo sheet on top of 1 buttered filo sheet, then brush again with thyme butter. Halve each filo pile through the middle, so you have 8 smaller squares. Scrunch each square, then lay side by side on top of the filling, to give a ruffled filo topping. At this point, freeze or continue cooking to eat immediately. Serve with steamed spring greens.
To eat: defrost at room temperature for 8 hours, or in the fridge for 24 hours. Bring up to room temperature. Cook at 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 for 25 minutes or until the filling is piping hot and the filo pastry is golden. To freeze: cover with cling film, label and freeze for up to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pork, spinach and mushroom filo pies
These pork, spinach and mushroom pies use filo pastry for a lighter, easier and quicker...
Favourite vegetarian recipes
Butternut, mushroom and chestnut brioche-crust wellington
Calling all vegetarians, this meat-free wellington encased in a chewy brioche crust makes for a...