What to do with leftover filo pastry
Filo pastry is thin and flaky, and can be used in sweet and savoury dishes. Find out how you can use up leftover filo pastry here.
Recipes with filo pastry
- Caramelised onion, spinach and goat’s cheese filo pie
- Squash, spinach and chickpea filo pie
- Caramelised apple with filo crisps and date and apple purée
- Sausage, cider and apple filo rolls with mustard mayonnaise
How to use up leftover filo pastry
- Filo-topped pot pie
Instead of covering a pie with shortcrust pastry, brush filo sheets with melted butter, then scrunch a few layers and place on top of the filling. Drizzle with a little extra melted butter, then bake as normal or until the filling is piping hot and the top is golden and crisp.
- Filo crisps for ice cream
Lay a sheet of filo on a baking sheet, brush it with melted butter and sift over some icing sugar. Repeat with 2 more layers on top, finishing with a thick layer of icing sugar. Cut the filo into small 7-8cm squares, then bake in the oven at 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 10-15 minutes until golden and crisp. Serve with ice cream.