Mushroom and thyme spelt-otto
- October 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 20-25 min
We’ve swapped arborio rice for pearled spelt in this take on a risotto. It’s got a wonderfully nutty texture which pairs well with earthy mushrooms and iron-rich spinach.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 16g (7g saturated)
- 68.8g (3.4g sugars)
- 25g butter
- 300g mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
- Splash vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 325g pearled spelt
- 1 litre hot vegetable stock
- 150g baby spinach
- 3 tbsp pesto
- 40g crème fraîche
- Melt half the butter in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat. Once sizzling, fry the mushrooms for 8-10 minutes until softened and golden, adding a splash of oil if needed. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan and add the onion. Cook for 6-8 minutes until softening, then stir in the garlic and half the thyme and cook for 1 minute. Add the spelt and cook for 2 minutes, then pour in the stock, stir and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the spelt is tender but still has a little bite.
- Stir in the spinach, 2 tbsp of the pesto, the crème fraîche and the remaining thyme. Cook for another minute or so until the spinach has wilted, then serve with the remaining pesto drizzled over the top
Rate & review